Saturday, August 05, 2006

An open letter to Mrs. Sifert


Monday is registration day in Belmond and, among other things, we are going to be giving Emily's teacher a card.

Am I a little crazy? Oh yes!

But I encourage all parents to offer your help to your children's teachers. Maybe you will be a little less over-the-top, but lend a hand if you can.

Dear Mrs. Sifert,

I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. Sure you think that you know me. You see me around town with the girls. But you should also know: I am one of those mothers.

Emily is, of course, one of the most important people in my life and I want the best for her. That doesn’t mean that I think that she is perfect or that she can do no wrong. But it means that I want her to have the tools and opportunities that can make her into a kind and happy adult. If she turns out to be the class bully (God forbid) I want to know.

You are her introduction into the world of education and I am thrilled. I couldn’t have asked for a more kind and generous, fair and just person to usher her into the sometimes overwhelming world of… okay, okay, I know, it’s only three-year-old preschool.

What I am trying to say is this: you mean the world to me. We are neighbors in this small community and you are going to be the first person that my daughter spends much time with, aside from family. If I can make this year easier for you in anyway, just let me know. I’d like to think that I am the very definition of an enthusiastic and helpful parent.

Whatever you need I am there for you:
If you need someone to cut out hundreds of laminated letters, I can do that. If you need someone to plan and throw sweet little juice-and-muffin celebrations or over-the-top-crazy parties, I can do that too. Maybe you need someone to do a newsletter or classroom blog, I’m there for you. Or if you need someone to paint the classroom… or sew smocks… or clean. I can do it all.

Well, I can’t actually paint, but Eric can, and I can get him to the school.

I have also enclosed a gift card to Target to help with any extras you might need for the classroom, or for whatever. Maybe what you need is some chocolate for yourself. Believe me, I understand and I am happy to provide it for you. Eric and I feel very lucky to be able to meet the needs of our children and we would be more than happy to help out throughout the year if there is anything you need (supplies, pictures of the children developed, more chocolate.) Just let me know.

Emily and I are looking forward to the school year. Thank you for everything… and consider yourself warned.

Sincerely,
Kate Simonson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where were you and other parents like you when I was a preschool teacher??!! Jessica